Inducted into the Michigan Motor Sports Hall of Fame in 1989.
Ray began racing in 1951 at the age of 17. He raced late models at numerous local and out of state tracks until 1973 at which time he retired. During his career, he raced and won against tough competitors like Benny Parsons, Joy Fair, Joe Ruttman, John Anderson, Jack Goodwin, Art Sommers, Ed Howe, Larry Moore, Bob Senneker, Erv Baumgarten, Rodney Combs, and Danny Byrd. He was also a major influence on the careers of Larry Lamay and Tracy Leslie. He came out of retirement to race midgets with the AMRA in 1975 and 1976. Ray was born on March 18, 1934. He died February 14, 1985.
- 1966 Qualified 3rd at 23.61 in Pittsburgh 200.
- 1967 First Driver in Mount Clemens Race Track History to compile 5000 points.
- 1967 First in midseason 100-lap championship race, led entire event, finished 25 car lengths over Benny Parsons.
- 1968 First in Hillbilly 100 at Pennsboro, WV.
- 1969 Entered 28 feature events at Mount Clemens Race Track. Had 24 top five finishes, eight 2nd place finishes and nine 1st place finishes.
- 1970 Set new track record for Hillbilly 100
- 1972 Only four time champion on dirt at Mt. Clemens Race Track.
- 1980-1985 Ray became owner and chief builder of his son John's racecar until his death in 1985.
- 1966 Mt. Clemens Race Track Champion
- 1967 Mt. Clemens Race Track Champion
- 1969 Mt. Clemens Race Track Champion
- 1972 Mt. Clemens Race Track Champion
- 1975 AMRA Rookie of the Year
TRACKS RACED - LATE MODELS:
Bob's Picnic Park, M-59 Speedway; Parkingtons Pasture; Michigan State Fairgrounds, Detroit, Michigan/ Motor City Speedway; Auto City, Flint, Michigan; Pennsboro Speedway, Pennsboro, WV; Langhorne International Speedway, Langhorne, PA; Mount Clemens Race Track, Mt. Clemens; Muskingum County Speedway, Zanesville, Ohio; Wayne County, Ohio; Eldora Speedway, Rossburg, Ohio; Jackson Motor Speedway, Jackson, MI; Queen City Speedway, Westchester, Ohio; Heidelberg, PA; Checker Flag, Windsor Ontario; Clarkes Motor Speedway, Clarksville, MI; Owosso Speedway, Owosso, MI; Dayus Speedway, Windsor, Ontario; Toledo Speedway, Toledo, Ohio; Dixie Motor Speedway, Birch Run, MI; Mansfield Raceway, Mansfield, Ohio
TRACKS RACED - AMRA MIDGETS:
Avilla Speedway, Avilla IN; Galesburg Speedway, Galesburg, MI; Toledo Speedway, OH; Adrian Fairgrounds, Adrian, MI; Bay City Fairgrounds, MI; Marion Fairgrounds, Marion, OH; Troy Fairgrounds, OH; Sandusky Speedway, Sandusky, OH; Carson City, MI; Delaware Speedway, London, Ontario; Manistee County Fairgrounds, Onekema, MI; Merritt Speedway, Lake City, MI; Columbus Motor Speedway, Columbus, OH; Crystal Speedway, Crystal, MI; Raleigh Speedway, South Buxton, Ontario; Attica Fairgrounds, Attica, OH; Owosso Speedway, Owosso, MI; Flat Rock
Send mail to Dan Van Koevering with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2004 Michigan Motor Sports Hall of Fame